The Business in a Box is a set of tools, processes and materials that allow you to easily, quickly and efficiently set up and replicate a micro-business in any relevant community through a local partner. The Business in a Box is structured primarily for businesses operating in communities living on under $5 per day.
The Business in a Box has been refined through creating over 200 entrepreneurs in 4 countries across Africa. The learnings, know-how and experience have been packaged as a systematised process to give others the best chance of successfully setting up micro-businesses.
Unit 1 – Information, guides & processes
Unit 1 focusses on how to select, train, set up and mentor a micro-business, including all the guides, processes and training required.
Unit 2 – Reporting & M&E Toolkit
A range of different templates for monitoring and analysing the impact the micro-business, including a data collection mobile application and automatic reporting system.
Unit 3 – Entrepreneur Training Materials
The complete training programme for entrepreneurs, with 6 core modules, including: Basics of Business, Finance, Practical Sales & Marketing, Business Ops and more.
Unit 4 – Entrepreneur Operational Materials
Unit 4 is normally tailored to the specific business being set up and includes; marketing materials, records, how to use guides, report templates and more.
Tailoring the Business in a Box
The Business in a box can be tailored to meet the needs of the organisation, tailoring options include:
- Organisational branding – organisations logos, colour scheme, imagery etc. on the training materials.
- Tailoring content – for example, developing training materials specific to the business being implemented or adapting examples and content for a specific business.
- Business in a Box adaptation/integration into existing systems, in particular:
- Integration of the M&E systems
- Adaption of training to local training methodologies
- Language – dependent on dialect